Endometriosis Treatment Protocol By Masina Wright ND
- Increase water to a minimum of 2 Liters per day
- Eliminate caffeine as it interferes with the body’s natural metabolism and elimination of hormones. Methylxanthines in chocolate, coffee, pop and black tea are especially significant for breast and reproductive pain.
- Eliminate red meat, margarine, sandwich meats and hot dogs. Reduce or eliminate cow dairy although moderate amounts of goat and sheep cheese and yogurt are ok if dairy is well tolerated. These foods are the most common dietary sources of dioxins which mimic estrogen in the body. Elevated dioxins have been found to increase the severity and prevalence of endometriosis.
- Limit non-vegetarian proteins to twice per week. (chicken, turkey, fish, eggs.)
- Increase vegetarian protein sources to twice daily. (beans, lentil, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocado.)
- Increase cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, kale and brussel sprouts to one serving daily minimum.
- Use 2 tbsp ground flax seeds daily. Flax decreases circulating amounts of estrogen via the lectins and enhances elimination via its fiber content. Delicious with goat or sheep yogurt, fresh fruit and maple syrup.
- Thorne Multi B6 or Metagenics CorticoB5B6: 1 per day with food. B6 is necessary for the breakdown of estrogen by the liver and is a critical component of many enzyme and hormone reactions.
- Fish oil: 1 Tbsp daily or 3 capsules per day. Fish oil decreases inflammatory mediators in the body associated with endometrial pain. This may be alternated with Borage or Evening Primrose Oils days 15-30 to reduce the effects of estrogen and reduce symptoms of PMS.
- Probiotics: 2 capsules daily. Acidophilus and Bifidus are necessary for the cleaving of the estrogen molecule into excretable forms. They also decrease estrogen recycling in the intestines by limiting the growth of unhealthy bacteria.
- Pancreatic Enzymes: Taken between meals these decrease inflammation and resolve scar tissue associated with long term endometriosis.
Other Potential Supplement Options:
- Curcumin 95 by AOR: 3 capsules twice daily. Turmeric is a powerful anti inflammatory that can reduce inflammation associated with endometriosis.
- Moducare: provides immune system support to correct endometrial proliferation.
- Chinese Herbal Formulations – specific according to individual body type.
- 20-40 minutes of exercise 3 days a week. Can be yoga, pilates, dance, walking, biking or any other aerobic style exercise. Exercise decreases pain associated with endometriosis and improves the body’s natural detoxification pathways.
- Two minutes of deep breathing each morning. Deep belly breaths actually change the chemical composition of the blood enhancing a more alkaline (healthy) state. This enhances pain management and improves vitality.
- Castor oil packs twice per week. Rub a nickel sized of Castor oil over the liver area (under right breast to belly.) Take a hot bath, or cover with saran wrap or a plastic bag and rest for 30-45 minutes. Cover with a hot water bottle if heat feels good. Castor oil improves lymphatic circulation, Enhances detoxification and increased immunity.
- Switch to using only organic cotton pads and tampons and/or reusable menstrual cups. Restrict Tampon use as much as possible to promote an even blood flow.
Other Treatment Options:
Acupuncture is an important part an overall treatment plan to address monthly pain & reestablish overall menstrual health. Some people respond better to acupuncture than others; however it is always worth at least one series of six visits (one per week) to assess your body’s response to Chinese medicine.
Homeopathy may also be utilized to address the underlying constellation of mental, emotional, environmental and genetic factors that have contributed to your current state. It can be difficult to truly assess the multifaceted layers of each individual! This is why we may talk about your emotions, dreams, sleep, childhood, relationships and other aspects of health that don’t seem to have a direction impact on your reproductive system, in order to get a better understanding of your whole health picture.
Hi there what about Probiotic yoghurt is that bad for Endometriosis too?
hello! All yogurt has some probiotics. Dairy in general is not recommended for endometriosis. As you need roughly 10 cups of yogurt for one low dose acidophilus/bifidus capsule, I always advise using a dairy free probiotic rather than yogurt as a source of beneficial gut bacteria.
I would like to know if the vegetarian alternative pancreatin enzyme from Aspergillus oryzae is effective in dissolving endometrial scar tissue, and managing the inflammation. My research has shown that it has been used to dissolve blood clots effectively, and may subdue inflammation at the kinen system. I have an autoimmunity (Hashimotos), and I tend to be hypersensitive to drugs. I am concerned about taking animal derived systemic enzymes, lest I task my pancreas and risk diabetes. Would Aspergillus oryzae source of pancreatin work to bring results without wearying or confusing my pancreas?
Exercise: My yoga like floor stretching exercises, do some pelvic tilts, and lifts. As I do my sacral freedom type of stretches I wonder if I may encourage menstrual back flow toward the fallopian tubes. Should I avoid such exercises while menstruating? I have been doing such exercises regularly now for 3 years.
I definitely avoid inverted pelvic tilts during menses.
Without knowing too much about your health situation, vegan source enzymes are generally safe, although too much fungal or yeast influence can be more damaging that animal based products. The body knows how to metabolize animal products in general, fungal/yeast less so. Ultimately I suggest trusting your instinct on which supplements to use. Having an integrative medicine doctor to guide you can also be helpful when you have multiple issues like endo + hashimotos.
Can you please help me. I always have vagiolsis infection my dr. Treat it with different antibiotic within weeks it comes back. I am now suffering from some serious gas pain when my period comes. What advice do you have for me. I think I may have endometrios.
Hello, Thank you for your email. It sounds like you have BV, which can be recurrent and very personally troubling! BV is treated well with natural medicine including herbs. I recommend finding a Naturopathic Doctor in your area (google your town or state and Naturopathic Doctor) or scheduling an appointment with us at Age Management Center. 207-774-1356
It also sounds like the repeated antibiotics have caused a bacterial imbalance that is affecting your digestive system. Start some probiotics from a health food store daily? The two conditions are related. You will get the best care by seeing someone who can hear your whole health history and help you make changes for the better. Good luck!
Hey I love this protocol but I am wondering, I have endometriosis and PCOS what diet protocol and supplements do I need to follow? I am miserable with pain and tremendous weight gain.
Hello – that sounds like a tough combo 🙁 Every woman is individual and its hard to know what is right for you without knowing more about your culture, environment, lifestyle, etc. I would consider the “whole 30 autoimmune” (google it) paleo type diet for 30 days, followed by low glycemic foods without too much meat which is inflammatory for the endo. Is there a naturopathic doctor in your area you can work with?
I’m just wondering why you didn’t include soy? Soy contains phytoestrogens and can increase the amount of estrogen in the body.
See the comments and research below. Phytoestrogens bind the estrogen receptors in the body without activating intracellular events like proliferation that estrogen does therefore soy actually helps to decrease estrogen levels in estrogen dominant states like PCOS. Thus some organic,. non GMO soy is not problematic with PCOS. There is good evidence on this.
There should be NO SOY as it has estrogen like components which are extremely bad for women with endometriosis.
See below research/comments on soy and check the date and validity of your evidence 😉
Would you recommend trying one of these supplement options i.e. Just probiotics or just the vitamin B. Or can some of these suggestions be combined? I worry that I will take too much (is that possible?). Have had endor for over 15 years recently experiencing extreme pain.
They are designed to be taken together. Good Luck
I have been diagnosis with severe endometriosis you recomend to look for a naturophatic doctor I realiced that the first suplement is from Metagenics The test too?
I am from México and I kniw there is clínic here that treaths with metagenics products.
Is that whatsup you mean with naturophatic doctor?
Thanks in advance for your help
Hello – A Naturopathic Doctor is a north American license/designation so I am not sure if people are called the sam ething there. If there are clinics you know that sell/prescribe metagenics, chances are they are practicing functional medicine or integrative medicine which is a branch of Naturopathic Medicine, so it is worth exploring. Best of luck