** This is a handout from PTHC June 2013 – Please email me at email@example.com with your experiences using natural medicines in transition! **
Naturopathic Medicine is: licensed in the state of Maine and many other states and Canadian provinces. We provide primary care using medical and alternative medicine. Naturopathic philosophy is based on the premise your body knows how to heal itself, and medicines from nature can help you overcome obstacles to health.
Naturopathic Doctors tools are: Botanical Medicine, Homeopathy, Nutrition, Lifestyle Counseling, Stress Management. Some ND’s also provide hands-on treatments (Chiropractic, Massage, CranioSacral Therapy,) Prescription medication (thyroid and female hormones, antibiotics, some Lyme medications, topical products), Acupuncture, Traditional Chinese Medicine and IV Therapies.
FOUNDATIONAL NATUROPATHIC SUPPORT – FOR ALL GENDERS
- Green tea 1-2 cups daily– anti-cancer, antioxidant, immune system support
- Adrenal support – adrenals are a major source of hormone production when the gonads are taken out of the picture as is evidenced in menopause and andropause. B5, vit C, Siberian ginseng, Ashwaganda, Rhodiola, Licorice.
- Probiotics – the digestive tract is the seat of our vitality and overall health.
- Cruciferous vegetables, fresh ground flax seeds, green tea, sprouts all enhance excess (endogenous and environmental) estrogen elimination – important for every body!
GENERAL TRANSMALE SUPPORT
– Support adrenals with herbs known to increase testosterone production.
– Testosterone metabolizes into Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) – a biologically active metabolite of testosterone 30x more potent because of its increased affinity for T receptors. DHT is known to promote hair loss. This conversion can be modulated with SAW PALMETTO – stops the conversion of T –> DHT. PLus ZINC 10-30mg daily.
– Nettle Tea – decreases bound T/ increases free (active) T, lymphatic support.
– Reservage Keratin Booster – prevention of baldness.
GENERAL TRANSWOMAN SUPPORT
– Breast health! Reduce methylxanthine chemicals found in coffee, black tea, caffeine, and chocolate. At least monthly breast massage for lymphatic health using herbal oils.
– Aerobic exercise.
– Freshly ground flax seeds help the body eliminate excess estrogen – add to smoothies or yogurt with fresh fruit and maple syrup. Cancer prevention.
– What is a phytoestrogen? Plant compounds that bind to estrogen receptors throughout the body. Soy Isoflavones, Alfalfa (Medicago Sativa), Burdock (Arctium Lappa), Dong Quai (Angelica Sinensis), Evening Primrose, Pau D’arco (Tabebuia Avellanedae), Red Clover (Trifolium Pretense), Saw Palmetto (Serenoa Repens.)
– Organic non-GMO soy 1-3 times week if tolerated.
– HRT Companion by Vitanica** Great prevention product for long term use.
– Reduce systemic inflammation for optimal long-term health – estrogen is protective for heart and bone health, but it can also be inflammatory. How to reduce inflammation? (CRP, homocysteine measures on bloodwork.)
SEXUAL TONIC HERB REVIEW– from The Male Herbal by James Green
Ashwaganda – WITHANIA SOMNIFERA Withanaloid chemicals resemble steroids biochemically. They are classified as an adaptogens to enhance libido and restore fertility and sexual potency.
PANAX QUINQUEFOLIUM – American ginseng. PANAX GINSENG – Asian Ginseng. All ginsengs provide ginsenoside compounds that effect hormonal balance. Their overall chemistry supports strong sexual function through tonifying activity. They can also increase nitrous oxide levels, improving blood flow where needed. Panax ginseng is classically only used for men as it is too Yang for women’s health unless specifically prescribed.
Horny Goat Weed – EPIDEMIUM SAGITTATUM, EPIDEMIUM GRANDIFLORUM Exhibits moderate androgen-like effect. Contains flavonoid ICARIIN which is a cGMP-specific PDE-5 inhibitor (like Cialis, Viagra and Levitra)
Muira Puama – PTCHOPETALUM OLACOIDES Increases circulation, nervous system tonic, improves sexual weakness and diminished sexual desire in all genders.
Maca – LEPIDIUM MEYENII, L. PERUVIANUM ** Nutritive tonic for all genders. Simulates ovarian and erectile functions. ** – Could restore fertility for FTM’s who decide to want to conceive after testosterone use.
Gokshura – TRIBULUS TERRESTRIS ** Prostate and urinary system tonic. Contains saponin, a steroidal plant chemical to improve libido with impotence. Improves sexual desire, fantasy life and sexual self-confidence. May prolong duration of intercourse before ejaculation. Increases endogenous LH levels. May stimulate endogenous testosterone production in men and women. ** May also stimulate ovarian or testicular action in ways that are not desired. Use with caution.